The first Poreč sea bath

The first sea bath in Poreč was built on the island of Saint Nicholas in 1895 under the name Bagno Parentino. It was also known as Bagno Isola S. Nicolò. The construction was initiated by the Consortium of eminent personalities for the construction of the first sea bath, founded in 1893, and in the same year the Trieste architect Arduino Berlam designed the project of the baths in compliance with conservation conditions and care for the preservation of cultural and natural heritage.

The beach on the island could be reached by boat from the city port, only a few minutes drive away. The wooden bathhouse was symmetrically composed and in compliance with the moral principles of the time, the parts for men and women were separated by a high wooden partition. The sea was entered according to a schedule. Entrance was charged according to the price list, especially for children and adults and the use of changing cabins, rental of bath linen, rental of various bathing equipment and boats was also charged. The bathing area on the island in 1912 was open from 9 a.m. to noon and in the afternoon from 2:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. After the opening of the second bath, this bath becomes reserved for women and children.

During the period of Italian administration, the bath was called Bagno Garibaldi.

The beach was located on the north side of the island, right by the sea, in an extremely exposed position, so under the influence of the sea it was subject to a fast devastation. The building was preserved until the middle of the 20th century.

Copyright, Zavičajni muzej Poreštine - Museo del territorio parentino

Add to favorites Remove from favorites